Our school and staff...
Our school has a long history. The first school room was built in 1623 by the Sibford Gower Town Estates Charity. The Charity was established in 1560 by an unknown member of the Church of England to benefit the "poor of Sibford Gower". In 1866 the first school room was pulled down and the one around which the present school is based was built.
By 1900 a new classroom was added and up to 100 children attended the school. However, school was of secondary importance to the planting and harvesting of crops, so it is doubtful whether more than 75% attended at any given time.
In 1935 electricity was installed. In 1954, following a number of fund raising events, a radiogram was bought. Eight years later, a television set was bought. In 1957, the village sewage system was completed and flush lavatories installed.
In 1960, major alterations were carried out at the school. Children attended classes at the Village Hall and the Mission Room. This continued until 1961, when alterations were completed.
By 1967 the number of pupils had risen to 113 and the school had four classes, one of which was held in the Village Hall. This continued until July 1968 when the new open-plan building was completed across the main village road. Since then, various alterations and extensions have been added to both buildings. the latest of these being completed in Autumn 2008 greatly improving our Foundation and KS1 facilities as well as providing a new ICT Suite and Library Area. These improvements have been made possible thanks to the support of the P.T.A., Town Estates Charity, Governors and the local community.
The school endowment not only enables ongoing improvements to the school facilities, but also makes it possible to maintain the school in excellent order, encouraging care and respect from the children who use it.
Because of the dual site, the school has extensive grounds. These are used for a variety of curricular activities, as well as recreation. The grounds on the 'old school site' have been developed to provide an excellent outdoor classroom. This area includes an orchard, a pond and a great variety of native trees and shrubs creating an interesting nature area.
Whilst both sites have interesting play areas, including playgrounds, quiet areas, creative play and adventure apparatus, the grounds of the new site have been developed mainly for sporting activities. An adjoining meadow provides ample space for team games and athletics as well as providing a wonderful play are during the spring and summer months.
Netball courts at the rear of the new ICT Suite also provide a hard playground for KS1 children, whilst the Foundation Stage children have their own outdoor area leading directly from their classroom.
Roles & Responsibilities
Paul Hollidge - Head Teacher
Helen Laughton - Acorn Class Teacher
Amanda Venables – KS1 Team Leader & Beech Class Teacher
Jo Green – Beech Class Teacher
Sally Layer –
Jenny Farrant – Maple Class Teacher
Helena Rothwell - KS2 Team Leader & Oak Class Teacher
Ilone Jones – Music & German Teacher
Helen Higley – Higher Level Teaching Assistant & Acorn Class TA
Julie Bruggenwirth – Higher Level Teaching Assistant & Crossing Patrol Supervisor
Paula Thompson - TA & Lunchtime Supervisor
Rachel Buckingham - Lunchtime Supervisor
Samantha Allen - Lunchtime Supervisor
Vanda Kirk – TA
Sally Gray - TA
Alison Brice – TA
Denise Cook - TA
Michelle Williams - TA
Carolyn Heather - TA
Samantha Allen - TA
Sheila Dowers – Financial Administrator
S Meadows - Assistant Administrator
Adrian Lamb – Caretaker/Handyman
Thomas Cleaning Contractors - Cleaners